Depending on your relationship with us, we use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the products, content or services selected by you (or your education institution or employer) and for related activities, such as customer service, account management, support, accessibility accommodations, training, reporting and other services related to your or your educational institution’s or employer’s account.
- To communicate with you (including through ads on social media platforms), to provide you with additional information that may be of interest to you and to manage your communications preferences.
- To help ensure the security and integrity of our websites, apps, products, services, systems, networks and facilities (including physical security, cybersecurity, fraud detection and prevention and intellectual property protection), and to undertake activities to verify, maintain and improve the quality and safety of our websites, apps, products, services, systems, networks and facilities.
- To provide advertising and marketing, including sending marketing communications and offers for products and services from Cengage and our partners as well as personalized offers and targeted advertising.
- To administer surveys, sweepstakes and other promotional events.
- To determine if you are eligible for certain products, services or offers, such as rebates or content guides, offered for certain courses.
- To understand how you use our products, content and services (including associating you with the different devices you may use to access our content), for analytics, for research and development, to create new products and services and improve existing products and services, to understand the impact of industry developments and to improve your user experience.
- To host and manage events.
- To manage our everyday business needs, such as payment processing and financial account management, contract management, website administration (including to optimize our websites and apps and for information security purposes), business continuity and disaster recovery, security and fraud prevention, risk management, corporate governance, training, quality control, reporting and legal compliance.
- For relationship purposes, such as use of photos and videos for social media purposes.
- To conduct auditing and monitoring of transactions and engagement, including related to counting and ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positions and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance.
- Short-term transient use, such as non-personalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us.
3. Sharing Your Personal Information
We share your personal information, to the extent permitted by applicable law, as follows:
- Within the Cengage group of companies.
- If you are affiliated with an educational institution, with your school and if you are a student, with your instructors. For example, we provide our institutional clients with reports about how their instructors and students use our products, including information that compares instructors and students within a school. If you are a student, your instructors will have access to the information generated by your use of a product for a class and certain information that you enter into the product. We may also provide personal information to your school, as needed, to investigate possible academic fraud or cheating. Your school uses your personal information in accordance with its own privacy policies.
- If you are affiliated with a corporation who has obtained our products, with your employer. If your employer has obtained our products for its employees’ use and we are processing personal information as a “processor” or “service provider,” we may provide your employer with reports about how its employees use the product. Your employer may also have access to the information generated by its employees’ use of the product and information that its employees have entered into the product. Your employer uses your personal information in accordance with its own privacy policies.
- With our service providers and advisors to the extent necessary to perform services for us or on our behalf.
- With learning management systems (LMS) and other education software providers that may integrate with or complement our products. These providers are given limited access to personal information in order to deliver the service.
- Advertisers who perform advertising and marketing services on our behalf. We may also permit these third parties to collect information directly from you on our websites and apps.
- With authorized partners that provide services to you through My Cengage, MindTap and similar platforms but only to the extent that you have authorized the sharing. For example, you may request that Cengage share information about the courses you’ve taken with partners to enable the partner to provide you with resume creation, skills assessments or other services. Additionally, we may share certain transactional information with our partners as needed to validate referrals and operate the platforms.
- With the company where you are doing an externship, if you are enrolled in Externship through Ed2Go.
- With your consent or at your direction.
- With law enforcement agencies, government agencies, regulators and courts in the United States and other countries where we operate, such as in response to a subpoena or court order or to fulfill a legal obligation.
- With third parties in connection with, or as part of the due diligence for, any proposed or actual merger, acquisition, sale or transfer of some or all our assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
4. Cookies and Other Data Collection Technologies
Third-Party Advertising Companies
We have relationships with third-party advertising companies to place advertisements on our websites and other companies’ websites, and to perform tracking and reporting functions for Cengage websites and other websites. These third-party advertising companies may place cookies and other data collection technologies on your computer when you visit our websites or other websites so that they can display targeted advertisements to you.
For more information about third-party advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) at www.networkadvertising.org. You can opt-out of being targeted by certain third-party advertising companies by visiting www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp or https://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1.
If you are a resident of California, Colorado, Connecticut or Virginia, please also see “Information for California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia Residents” below for more information related to third-party advertising and your opt-out rights.
Social Media Interactions
Our websites and apps may enable you to interact with us and others via social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. If you use these platforms, we may collect personal information about you and your friends, as permitted by the platform’s privacy policies. For example, we may allow you to sign into Cengage websites and apps using social media, such as Facebook Connect. If you choose to do this, we may collect personal information about you and your connections to facilitate an interactive social experience.
We may display interest-based ads to you when you are using social media platforms. These platforms allow us to personalize the ads that we display to you. These platforms may gain insights about individuals who respond to the ads we serve.
5. Forums and Other Public Areas
Our websites, apps and products may provide forums and other public areas where individuals can communicate. Prior to posting in these areas, please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Service carefully. All the information you post will be viewable to anyone with access to the area, and any personal information you include in your posting may be read, collected and used by others. For example, if you post your telephone number, you may receive unsolicited calls.
Please use caution when posting any personal information in a public area. Cengage is not responsible for any information, including personal information, you choose to submit in these forums.
6. Tell-A-Friend Functions
We may offer “tell-a-friend” functionality on our websites. If you choose to use this function, we will collect contact information for your friend. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email with the information you specified or inviting them to visit the site. We use this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and do not retain the information.
7. Retention of Data
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our retention policies for as long as is reasonably necessary to accomplish the purpose for which the information was collected or for the period that may be required or permitted by law, such as for business, legal, accounting or reporting requirements. In determining the length of the retention period, we will consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of personal information; the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of personal information; the purposes for which we process personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and applicable legal requirements.
8. International Transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, stored at or processed in the United States and other countries which may not have equivalent privacy or data protection laws as the country where you are located. However, regardless of where your personal information is transferred, we will protect it in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable laws.
We use approved Standard Contractual Clauses to assure that personal information is adequately protected when it is transferred to countries without an adequate level of data protection, but we may also make transfers to recipients using other approved data transfer mechanisms. To learn more about our cross-border transfers of personal information, please Contact Us.
9. Information Security
We use physical, technical, organizational and administrative safeguards to help protect your personal information against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against damage, accidental loss or destruction.
10. Privacy Policies of Third Parties
This Privacy Notice only addresses the use and sharing of personal information by Cengage and does not apply to your use of a third-party site. Other websites that may be accessible through our websites and apps have their own privacy policies and data collection, use and disclosure practices. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the privacy notices provided by all third parties prior to providing them with information or taking advantage of an offer or promotion. For example, our MindTap product uses the YouTube API Services. MindTap uses these services to allow instructors to add videos and the information collected and shared includes meta data that is used to describe the content of the videos delivered in the search results.
11. Your Choices and Rights
You have the following choices in relation to your personal information:
- In most cases, you can choose what personal pnformation to provide to us. Our data collection forms indicate when it is required that you provide personal information for a particular product or service. If you choose not to provide personal information that is required, we may not be able to provide the product or service you request or a particular feature of that product or service.
- If you have an online account with Cengage, you can access and update certain of your personal information by logging into your account. You can also update your communications preferences within your account.
- We respect the rights of individuals to opt-out of having their business contact information included in Gale Directory products. If you would like to remove your information from Gale Directory products, please complete this form.
- You can always opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by clicking on the opt-out link in the emails we send. You can also have your name removed from our email marketing lists by contacting our Customer Service department by email at: [email protected] or by phone at +1 800.354.9706 (M -F, 8:00 am -6:00 pm ET).
Please note that even if you opt-out of marketing emails, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account about the products or services you purchased and for other transactional and informational purposes. or example, even if you opt-out of marketing emails, we will still send you activity or billing confirmations.
Depending on where you are located and the data protection laws that apply, you may have certain rights in relation to your personal information. Subject to certain conditions and applicable law, you may have the following rights:
- To know if we maintain your personal information, and, if we do, to receive a copy (subject to the rights of others).
- To correct inaccurate personal information, and under certain circumstances, to supplement incomplete personal information.
- To object to our processing of your personal information, and, if we are processing your personal information based on your consent, to withdraw your consent at any time.
- To delete your personal information.
- To restrict the processing of your personal information.
- To submit a complaint to your data protection supervisory authority.
Please see “Additional Information for California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia Residents” below for a description of the rights available to California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia residents.
Please see “Exercise Your Rights” below for information on how to exercise your rights in relation to your personal information.
12. Additional Information for California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia Residents
This section of the Privacy Notice applies to California, Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia residents as indicated below.
Information for California Residents about Our Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
California law requires us to provide you with the information set out below about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information:
- We collect (and in the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Notice have collected) the categories of personal information from the sources indicated as set out above under “Collection of Your Personal Information.”
- We use (and in the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Notice have used) personal information for the commercial and business purposes described above under “Use of Your Personal Information.”
- We sell (and in the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Notice have sold) the following categories of personal information: Identifiers (i.e., publicly available business contact information of corporate executives, academics and professionals) in connection with our Gale Directory products. See ”Collection of Your Personal Information” for more information.
- We share (and in the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Notice have shared) the following categories of personal information with third-party advertisers and social media platforms for the purpose of cross-context behavioral advertising: Identifiers, Internet Network and Device Information and Customer Records.
- We do not have actual knowledge about selling or sharing personal information of consumers under the age of 16.
- We disclose (and in the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Notice have disclosed) the categories of personal information to the recipients indicated below for the purposes set out above under “Use of Your Personal Information.” In addition to the disclosures in the table below, if the circumstances described under “Sharing Your Personal Information” arise, we disclose all categories of personal information to other third parties; law enforcement, government agencies, regulators and courts; and to third parties in connection with a corporate transaction.
- We do not offer financial incentives for the collection or sale of personal information.
- We process Sensitive Personal Information only for the purposes permitted under California privacy law.
State Privacy Rights
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of California, you have the following rights, subject to certain conditions, with respect to your personal information:
- Right to Know and Access: The right to know what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed and sold about you, including the categories of personal information; the categories of sources from which the personal information is collected; the business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling or sharing personal information; the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information; and the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you. Please note that we are only required to honor requests to know twice in a 12-month period.
- Right to Correct: The right to correct inaccuracies in your personal information, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing.
- Right to Delete: The right to request that we delete any personal information we have collected about you.
- Right to Opt-Out: The right to opt-out of the selling or sharing of your personal information, which you can exercise as described below.
This Privacy Notice describes how we may share your information for marketing purposes, as described above. If you are a California resident, the Shine the Light law permits you to request and obtain from us once per calendar year information about any of your personal information shared with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, including the categories of information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we have shared such information. To request this information, please contact us as described below.
Your Colorado, Connecticut and Virginia Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of Colorado, Connecticut or Virginia, you have the following rights, subject to certain conditions and subject to exceptions when individuals are acting in a business-to-business or employment capacity, with respect to your personal information:
- Right to Know and Access: The right to confirm whether we process your Personal Information and to access your personal information. Connecticut residents may request information free once every 12 months, and we may charge an administrative fee (under certain conditions) for additional requests in a 12-month period. Colorado residents may request information free once every 12 months, and we may charge a fee for additional requests in a 12-month period. Virginia residents may request information twice in a 12-month period.
- Right to Correct: The right to correct inaccuracies in your personal information, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing.
- Right to Delete: The right to delete personal information we have obtained about you.
- Right to Portability: The right to obtain a copy of your personal information in a portable, and to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows your data to be transmitted to another controller.
- Right to Opt-Out: The right to opt out of the processing of your personal information for purposes of targeted advertising, the sale of personal information, and/or profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects.
- Right to Appeal: If we deny your request, the right to appeal our decision.
13. Exercising Your Privacy Rights
There are several ways for you to exercise your privacy rights:
- You can exercise your privacy rights by emailing [email protected]
- You can request deletion of your personal information by submitting this form: automated deletion request form.
- You can request to opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information in Gale Directory products by submitting this form: opt-out of sale and sharing form.
- You can opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information in relation to cookies by following the instructions here. We are working towards enabling Global Privacy Control (GPC) as an additional way for you to submit a request to opt-out of the sale and sharing of your personal information through browsers and/or browser extensions that support such a signal.
Where Cengage acts as “processor” or “service provider” to an educational institution or a company, your request to exercise your privacy rights should be directed to your educational institution or employer. In such cases, we cannot fulfill such rights unless directed to do so by your educational institution or employer.
When you exercise your rights and submit a request to us, we will verify your identity and that the rights you are exercising are available under the data protection laws in your jurisdiction. We may verify your identity by asking you to log in to your account if you have one with us or asking you to provide additional information to verify your identity. We may also use a third-party verification provider to verify your identity.
Applicable data protection laws may also allow you to designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. As permitted by applicable law, when we verify your agent’s request, we may verify both your and your agent’s identities and request that you directly confirm with us that you provided the authorized agent permission to make the request on your behalf. To protect your personal information, we reserve the right to deny a request from an agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Applicable data protection laws may require or permit us to decline your privacy request. If we decline your request, we will tell you the reason why, unless we are not permitted by law to share the reason. Certain data protection laws may allow you to appeal a decision we have made regarding your request. To appeal a decision, you may contact us as described above.
The fact that you have elected to exercise your privacy rights will not have an adverse effect on the price and quality of our products or services.
14. Changes to this Privacy Notice
From time to time, we may update this Privacy Notice. When we update this Privacy Notice, we will revise the “Last Updated” date located at the top of this Privacy Notice and will post the updated Privacy Notice on our websites and apps. Additionally, if the changes will significantly affect the way we use or disclose previously collected personal information, we will notify you about the change by sending a notice to the primary email address associated with your account.
15. How to Contact Us
Please contact the Cengage Privacy Office at [email protected] if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice.
If you are reaching out to us about a vulnerability in our websites, apps or products, please email [email protected].